Here Are The Concessions McCarthy Had To Make For Speakership
The last vote came after a dramatic scene, where during the 14th vote Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) threw a wrench in the gears - voting 'present,' which left McCarthy just one vote short of victory.
McCarthy - who clearly thought he had a deal, stormed up to Gaetz and exchanged words, during which a visibly angry Mike Rodgers bolted towards Gaetz and had to be muzzled and restrained.
During the final, 15th ballot, enough holdouts voted 'present' to bring the total required number of votes low enough for McCarthy to finally win around midnight.
Here's what McCarthy had to give up for the votes, according to The Epoch Times' Roger L. Simon, who interviewed first-year Congressman Andrew Ogles (R-TN), who has yet to be sworn in:
1. As has been reported, it will only take a single congressperson, acting in what is known as a Jeffersonian Motion, to move to remove the Speaker if he or she goes back on their word or policy agenda.
2. A “Church” style committee will be convened to look into the weaponization of the FBI and other government organizations (presumably the CIA, the subject of the original Church Committee) against the American people.
3. Term limits will be put up for a vote.
4. Bills presented to Congress will be single subject, not omnibus with all the attendant earmarks, and there will be a 72-hour minimum period to read them.
5. The Texas Border Plan will be put before Congress. From The Hill: “The four-pronged plan aims to ‘Complete Physical Border Infrastructure,’ ‘Fix Border Enforcement Policies,’ ‘Enforce our Laws in the Interior’ and ‘Target Cartels & Criminal Organizations.'”
6. COVID mandates will be ended as will all funding for them, including so-called “emergency funding.”
7. Budget bills would stop the endless increases in the debt ceiling and hold the Senate accountable for the same.
In response to the outcome, Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO), one of the holdouts, said in a statement that the anti-McCarthy Reps. "changed the way the government will be funded," and "changed the way committees will be formed."
"We secured votes on term limits, the fair tax, the Texas Border Plan, and so much more."
Bobert goes on to slam President Biden for calling the speakership process 'embarrassing for Republicans.
"How sad is it that us governing as the founders intended looks embarrassing to Democrats?" Bobert asked, adding "I'll tell you what's embarrassing. 40-year high inflation is embarrassing. 5 million illegals crossing our southern border is embarrassing/ Surrendering to ISIS and fleeing Afghanistan is embarrassing. Having a president that cant' finish his sentences is embarrassing."https://www.zerohedge.com/political/here-are-concessions-mccarthy-had-make-speakership